Friday, January 21, 2011

Processing

My daughter processes things like her father: Stay calm, ponder, think through, pray, assess from different angles, empathize, accept, express gently, move on. I want to be her when I grow up.

Me? I get deeply, profoundly angry--but mostly when someone in my family is being injured by the inconsiderate words and actions of others. I don't get so upset when it's me. I can put on my big girl panties and deal. But when it's my babies...hooboy. That just doesn't sit well.

We teach our children to always give without expecting anything in return, always do for others, be dependable, be prompt, minimize drama, show integrity, be honest. The idea is that when they do those things, people will honor it. And so they do. Sadly other people very often don't keep their side of it. I wonder if it's just because people really don't understand the meaning of such honoring any more. People just don't stop to think through the implications of what they do and say, or how it affects other people--other good people who do their best and give of themselves constantly from a cheerful heart, always working hard because it's the right thing to do. 

I guess I just really hate seeing my children do everything right and be treated like it doesn't matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment